- The Chamber of Commerce is providing free “rapid COVID testing kits” to our businesses. Please check out their website for more information: https://www.didsburychamber.ca
- COVID-19 RESTRICTION POSTERS
- GOVERNMENT OF ALBERTA COVID-19 INFO
- The Alberta Community & Co-operative Association helps strengthen Alberta communities by providing leadership development and fostering cooperative values
- Cooperatives First is a business development agency that supports business, economic, and community development in rural and Indigenous communities across western Canada
- Small and Medium Enterprise Relaunch Grant
- The Alberta Jobs Now Program will provide up to $370M to help private and non-profit businesses with job supports to get thousands of Albertans back to work
- WCB Premium Payment Deferrals
- COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
- Online tool – Find appropriate supports for your business
- Business Resilience Hotline – Call toll-free 1-866-989-1080 seven days a week, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (ET)
- The Canada-Alberta Job Grant helps cover training expenses for existing employees and new hires with the possibility to cover up to 100% of training costs, up to $15,000 per trainee. Contact the Alberta-Canada Job Grant processing centre at 1-855-638-9424 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) – Wage Subsidy Calculator
- Large Employer Emergency Financing Facility (LEEFF)
- Small Business Relief Fund – Canadian Business Resilience Network in partnership with the Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Business Continuity Planning
- COVID-19 and Canadian Exporters
- Support for Entrepreneurs impacted by COVID-19 – Business Development Bank of Canada
- Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF)- Women’s Enterprise Initiative Stream
The Essence of Shop Local
“Going local does not mean walling off the outside world. It means nurturing locally owned businesses which use local resources sustainably, employ local workers at decent wages and serve primarily local consumers. It means becoming more self-sufficient and less dependent on imports. Control moves from the boardrooms of distant corporations and back into the community where it belongs.” Michael H. Shuman
1. Entrepreneurs and small local businesses are the largest employers nationally. The more jobs we have in our community the less people are going to have to commute, which means more time for family and friends, less traffic and with that less pollution.
2. When you purchase at a locally owned business more money stays in the community because locally-owned businesses often purchase from other local businesses.
3. Local businesses are friendlier and more service oriented as many rely on repeat customers.
4. To keep taxes at a reasonable level we need businesses to achieve a balanced differential. Purchasing local helps grow other businesses as well as the local tax base.
5. Many small local business are located in the town center catering to the unique character of our local community. Our downtown is the heartbeat of our community adding to our quality of life.
6. Local businesses are mostly owned by people who live in our community. They are less likely to leave, and are more invested in the community’s welfare and future. They support charities and service clubs that bring many events to the community for our enjoyment.
7. A town with many and a variety of small businesses is the best way to ensure innovation and low prices over the long-term. Competition and diversity leads to more choices.
In essence if you like your little coffee shop around the corner and like to continue shopping at your favorite little boutique amongst other shops and if you like the markets and events in our beautiful town there is no other way than supporting them and continue to shop LOCAL!
Remember to be kind – shops and eateries are just following the rules and trying their best to survive.
Need more info or assistance?
We want to know how you are doing and if we can be of assistance as we continue to navigate through these trying times.
E-mail the Economic Development team at email@example.com or call 403-818-1892.
We are here for you!