Pursuant to the Municipal Government Act, the Town of Didsbury must hold a Public Hearing before Council when amending a Statutory Plan or Land Use Bylaw of the Town. The purpose of a Public Hearing is to provide members of the public an opportunity to address Council before a decision is made. At this Public Hearing, members of the public are provided the opportunity to address Council with their concerns or their support of the application.
Public Hearings are advertised in the local newspaper and on the Town’s website for a period of two consecutive weeks prior to the Public Hearing. They are held as part of regular Council meetings, which take place every second and fourth Tuesday of the month.
If you plan to attend a public hearing and wish to speak:
- Please ensure your presentation is organized and to the point. Time for presentations is limited to five minutes (additional time may be considered)
- Council may ask you questions regarding your presentation
- Once you have made your presentation and closing remarks, you will not have another opportunity to address Council, unless you are asked a direct question
Click on the drop down menus below for more information on the upcoming Public Hearings that will go before Regular Council Meetings in Council Chambers at the Town Office.
*Note: If there are no menu options listed below, there are no upcoming Public Hearings scheduled.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE PUBLIC HEARING PROCESS:
Lee-Ann Gaudette; Development Officer
Luana Smith; Manager of Legislative Services
A PUBLIC HEARING will be held on Tuesday, May 10, 2022 in Council Chambers located at 1606 14 Street, Didsbury.
The Regular Council Meeting begins at 6:00 pm, with the Public Hearing held during item "5" of the Regular Council Meeting Agenda.
Second and Third readings of the proposed Bylaws will be considered following the Public Hearing.
The style of the hearing will be informal and persons wishing to speak will be requested to state their name and address for the record upon being recognized during the Public Hearing. Written responses will be accepted until 4:00 pm on Friday, May 6, 2022. Bylaws and proposed amendments may be viewed at the Town Office at 1606 - 14 Street, Didsbury, between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, (excepting statutory holidays) or on our website.
The public hearing is in relation to creating a new commercial development on the subject lands as a continuation of the existing uses on the lands to the immediate north, within the area known as Shantz.
The proposed development key strategic documents being presented are:
- Amend MDP 2012-09 to (Bylaw 2022-05) to change the Shantz Village neighbourhood from “Industrial” to “Mixed-Use Lands”.
- Amend Shantz Village Area Structure Plan, Bylaw 2016-04 (Bylaw 2022-06) to change the subject lands from Residential to Commercial and to add the following phrase to Policy 6.10.5 “unless authorized by Alberta Transportation”.
- Amend LUB 2019-04 (Bylaw 2022-07) to redesignate the subject lands from R2-General Residential to C1-General Commercial.
- Initiate the process to dispose of the existing MR Lot.